Thursday, January 2, 2014

Crocheting and other stuffs

When I was in grade 5 (11 years old) we have a subject called H.E.L.E. which means Home Economics and Livelihood Education. In this subject we were taught on how to be a good homemaker. This includes how to cook, how to sew, how to do arts and crafts and other stuffs a typical homemaker does.

One of the things I love about this class was there's minimal amount of discussions and recitations involved because it's more on practical stuffs. My brain functions more on the artistic side and so this subject became my favorite.

However, what really made this subject my favorite was the fact that I get to learn how to do needle works such as basic sewing, reading patterns for cross-stitch and my all time fave - crocheting.

Crocheting is now becoming a huge part of my life. My passion for crocheting heightened during the second half of last year. I became obsessed with making beanies for ball-jointed dolls, and my friend even encouraged me to do a lot of it which we included in the items we sell on our booth for a doll event we attended. Unfortunately though, I only manage to sell 2 beanies on that day (my friend's clothes though were a hit and almost all of the items are sold) so at the end of the day we still feel accomplished with our mission.

Going back, my obsession with crocheting just started with beanies but I continued doing other stuffs like human-sized scarves, mobile phone cases and small table cloth. I'm trying to expand my knowledge in this craft by learning how to read patterns because I'm not used to reading written or illustrated patterns before. I'm getting there though...

Now, I'm working on another item which I will be posting on my online store as soon as I finished it. This online store by the way was created last 2012 of October but I only got my first sale last Monday! Honestly, I had totally screwed up on maintaining and improving my store not until recently due to some events that happened last year (see previous post).

Luckily, I was able to check my email and found out someone sent me a payment. It came as a surprise to me because I didn't expect someone will purchase anything from my online store (I only have 2 items posted there haha). Because of this really unexpected turn of events, I'm now trying to organize and fix my store and create more items to sell. My first sale give me a boost once again to continue in this venture.

Below is a sample hat/earflap I made for my friend's ball-jointed doll:



No comments:

Post a Comment