Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hand-painted Shoes inspired by Adventure Time

Two months ago, my friend Frida and I were talking about how we want to develop our artistic talents. We both have interest in arts which is one of the things we have in common. We never get tired of talking about anything art-related stuffs so there are some ideas that we came up with where we can apply our skills.

One of the things we discussed was about custom-made shoes. I painted a pair of shoes twice before so when Frida brought up this topic, I shared my experience with this kind of hobby to her. If you think that painting shoes is easy, I would say you're wrong. It takes a lot of patience and TIME. Yes. Time. This is because there are moments that you just don't feel like drawing or painting and you should take a break when this moment comes. You wouldn't want to spoil the design of the shoes you're working on.

I encountered an artist block several times on the shoes I just hand-painted that's why it took me a month to finish it. Anyway, going back to the conversation with my friend, we came up with the idea to order a custom made canvass shoes. Since I don't know anyone who can make a shoes that we have in mind, I did a lot of research and found a local shop who accepts custom orders. At first I was hesitant to place an order online especially because we don;t know if it's a legit seller. Fortunately, I found the right one. We placed an order and got it in two weeks' time.

When we got the shoes, we were both ecstatic! This is it! We are taking this hobby seriously. Each of us have 3 pairs of shoes and we didn't even know what to paint. I have an idea already but I don't know how to execute it yet. So when I finally have the time to start painting I decided to start with something that I like. This is the animation series Adventure Time. I chose this so that in case someone doesn't want it, then I could at least wear it.
I'm happy on how this one turned up. I use acrylic paints for this which I already have. My only tip for those who want to paint shoes is to buy a large size of white and black acrylic paint. You will be consuming these two colors a lot.

Aside from acrylic paints, you'll also need a clear varnish (spray) as your top coating.There's no coating on the shoes shown above yet because I want to wait at least a day for the acrylic paint to settle on the canvass. But that is just me. You can apply the varnish as long as the acrylic is already dry.

This shoes is now up for sale on my etsy store. This is the very first hand-painted shoes I put up on the store so hopefully someone will like and buy it.

 Sprinkling you with fairy dust of happy sensations!



No comments:

Post a Comment