Monday, March 16, 2015

How useful is a Selfie Stick?

If you are someone who loves to take a a snapshot of yourself on your own, then you must have heard of this "self-help" tool called selfie stick. For those of us who are actively using various social media sites, you probably saw a lot of people using this. The first time I saw this tool I was thinking, what is this long metal stick doing in front of their picture (that's because the metal stick is visible on the photograph)? Little did I know that it is a type of monopod that you can use to attach your camera or phone.

At first I am an anti-selfie stick person. I swear! My brain is telling me that I don't have use for it, that I could just ask someone to have my picture taken with my friends. I guess it's been more than a year before I decided to buy one for myself. In fact I just bought mine early this year.




There's a reason why I yielded in my stance against not buying one. This happened late December 2014. In my past blogs, I mentioned that I and some friends have a wedding to attend and we're not just guests here. We are the wedding coordinators. Since we are working on the actual day of the wedding, we wouldn't have time to take decent photos of ourselves. If we need to take a photo, we need to do it quick and on a limited space (because you know, our arms are not extensible and can only capture whatever the lens can fit inside the frame). Imagine how blurred those photos are! Not only do we have little seconds to do that, but we also have to do it on our own.

So because of this, I decided it's time to take action! hahaha! I searched for a cheap one (that's me, looking for the cheapest stuff I could find, not too cheap though because you don't want a low quality one.) I didn't even bought the one that includes a bluetooth  because I told myself that I can just use the built-in timer from the phone. See? That's how this little mind of mine works...(later on though I realize why people buy the one with bluetooth, more on that later.)

Did I have any regrets in buying it? None, although I should have bought bluetooth controls as well. By the time we started using this monopod, I noticed how heavy it can get especially when you set your camera's timer into 10 secs! How stupid can I get? Hahaha. Still, my selfie or our group pictures can now be seen with proper background and not just our faces! That's the main objective.



There are lots of advantages when you use a selfie sticks. One obvious reason is that, you no longer need to bother people specifically strangers to take a break from whatever they are doing for them to take your picture.

Another advantage, you can now show off your outfit by trying the top view shot using your selfie tool!  And since, you're already using it for your outfit, show why not show where you are by capturing the beautiful landscape behind you. Just make sure you are not hitting someone else with that selfie stick.


Always remember though that there are limitations when it comes to using it. There are some places that prohibits you from using it so just follow their rules or guidelines. If you are visiting an art gallery or museum, I suggest that you don't use it (whether they have rules against it or not) because you might damage those amazing artworks and vintage items.

Just be practical. If you need it, then buy it, if not, then you don't have to. If you are planning to buy though, do not take excessive selfies. Make sure you also exercise proper etiquette when doing so.

Sprinkling sweet fairy dusts to you, reader





No comments:

Post a Comment